St Albans Liberal Democrats
St Albans, Hertfordshire
£18,000 - £20,000pa pro rata for 3 days a week
St Albans Liberal Democrats are looking to recruit an experienced Campaign Organiser to support our local party campaigning. You will be joining our team at a particularly exciting time as we head into the Local Election campaign and will play a vital role in shaping the election campaign and working towards our five-year election targets.
About the constituency
We have consistently maintained a large presence on the District Council where we act as the official opposition, and on the County Council, where we won five out of the seven council seats in the constituency in 2012. Our membership currently stands at over 400, and we have seen over 80 new members join since May. Although we had a disappointing General Election result in 2015, in 2010 we were within 5% of the sitting Conservative MP and therefore see the next five years as an excellent opportunity to position us as the only credible alternative to the Conservatives in 2020.
Role description and main responsibilities
The purpose of the job is to plan, conduct and project manage campaigning for the St Albans Liberal Democrats. The post holder will report to the Chair of the St Albans Liberal Democrats. Key stakeholders include the PPC once selected, St Albans Liberal Democrat District Council Group and St Albans County Councillors. The responsibilities are as follows:
- To oversee the development, updating and delivery of the annual constituency campaign plan
- To ensure the continual development and improvement of organisational capacity in order to achieve the constituency campaign plan
- To liaise and develop effective communication with division campaign organisers; to disseminate information to councillors and campaigners; to assist with membership development, organisational, campaigning and literature support
- To maintain a close understanding of developing party policy, the national political situation and especially local issues which may impact party support
- To oversee the organisation, printing and delivery of publicity material
- To oversee the artworking of local party and other literature as necessary, making effective use of literature templates supplied by the Department for Elections & Skills and ALDC
- Working with the county press officer, to enable regular contact between the local media and the PPC /council groups; to draft and edit and circulate media releases and briefings in relation to district council and constituency matters
- To act as Agent if required to do so by the St Albans Party executive
- To line manage interns and to recruit, organise and manage office-based volunteers
- To advise the Chair on organisational and maintenance priorities to support the smooth running of the local party offices
- To undertake such other duties as the Chair may require to further effective communication, campaigning and organisation in the constituency.
- To undertake such training as is recommended and provided through the management in order to develop and update required skills
Skills and experience required
- Sympathy with Liberal Democrat values and a desire to promote the work of the party.
- Previous experience in a campaigning role, and in working with volunteers. Previous experience in a lead campaigning role, and as an agent, is desirable, but not essential.
- Strategic and tactical political judgment and experience:
- Ability to identify issues with campaigning potential and issues that are hazardous
- Good understanding of social media and e-campaigning
- Strong communication and people management skills:
- Ability to communicate and liaise effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders (candidates, councillors, local party executive) and gain their trust and respect
- Ability to manage and motivate a team
- Strong drafting and editing skills.
- Technical skills:
- Advanced knowledge of PagePlus, good knowledge of MS Office
- Strong record keeping and database management skills
- Good knowledge of Connect
- Website and social media management capability is desirable.
- Personal qualities:
- Self-starter with ability to use own judgment to work unsupervised and prioritise a wide variety of tasks
- Ability to maintain focus under pressure and meet internal and external deadlines
- Team player, able to provide a good role model for interns and the volunteer team
- Degree level or equivalent education or experience.
The successful candidate will be based at our city centre offices in St Albans but ability to travel to outlying wards will be needed.
9 November 2015
Interview and start dates:
Interviews to take place in the Constituency Office at 9 Hatfield Road, St Albans AL1 3RR on a date to be agreed. We anticipate a start date of 1 January 2016.
How to apply:
Applicants should send a CV, a short cover letter (no more than one page A4) and a sample of artwork they have produced to [email protected]