Many of you may have seen that the Government's plans to open up our Green Belt to housing developers may net a single developer £3 billion! Talk about selling Hertfordshire for 30 pieces of silver.
Even if you weren't in time for the official consultation responses, as well as signing the e-petition I believe it is still worthwhile to write to Ruth Kelly, the MP for Bolton in Lancashire, who has driven these plans. Her address is:
Rt Hon Ruth Kelly Secretary of State Department for Communities and Local Government Eland House Bressenden Place London SW1E 5DU
The departmental website promises that you will get a response within 15 days. The Downing Street e-petition already has over 900 signatures and rising every day. Letters to the minister in charge will add to the political pressure.
They should be in your own words but the points will be similar to those used making formal objections:
- the disastrous damage to the individual character of St Albans, the villages and the neighbouring Hertfordshire towns if they lose the rural surrounding
- the inability of the road and rail infrastructure to cope with the existing population - the A414 is at breaking point, First Capital Connect rail services are full to bursting
- the lack of local health facilities following the cancellation of the Hatfield super-hospital and the likely downgrading of Hemel Hempstead and QE2 hospitals
- water supply issues when local rivers such as the Ver dry up with the water demand from the existing population
- WE DON'T RECOGNISE THAT WE LIVE IN "LONDON ARC WEST" - WE DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN THE LONDON BOROUGH OF HERTFORDSHIRE!